" My Style Lounge: more than what i expected

Saturday, March 8, 2008

more than what i expected

For my late teens and most of 20s, I had very short hair... boy short. After several years of such short hair, I decided to grow it out and didn't have a haircut for a couple years. I got my hair down to my back.

Long hair was a love/ hate relationship. I love the idea of having long hair. When I look back at this picture (taken in the fall of 2007), I don't even recognize this person. I even have moments of wanting it back. Then, I think about how bored I was with it. I think about how often I just put it in a ponytail. I think about how average I looked.


Since this picture was taken, I have had maybe three haircuts from two different people at different salons. I haven't liked any of the cuts either. My last haircut was in early January and I liked it for as long as a week. It had lots of layers but it was too heavy at the bottom. After a week, it wouldn't do anything I wanted.

To say it plainly, I haven't liked any of my haircuts for a very long time.

Today, I decided to go to one of the Osgood- O'Neil Salons. I pass by them frequently, wanted to check it out, but was worried I would get a conservative haircut because they are all located in an upper middle class community. I made the appointment earlier this week and there was one person available for a Saturday appointment. The stylist's name is Sergio Ortega and, coincidentally, I read about him in the recent Allure magazine. I wanted to see what he was all about it so I got lucky.

The salon was beautiful and the staff was very friendly... so far, so good. I told Sergio that I didn't know what I wanted and told him about my failed haircuts. If I was able to get a haircut last week, I would have gotten a modern-day mullet (similar to Tegan and Sara). This week, I was thinking to save the mullet for another day and try a bob. At the same time, as I have told each stylist in the past, take a risk and I am open to new things. Basically, I told him that I wanted something edgy and he could do whatever he wanted. To my surprise, he asked me what I did for a living. That was a sign that I would get a tone-down haircut (at least, I thought it would). He called another stylist over for some advice but never really told me what he was going to do. I just knew he had something in mind and this is what he gave me.




As I watched him cut my hair, I was excited about the length I saw fall to the ground. He kept cutting, and cutting, and cutting. I wasn't sure what he was doing. As I kept seeing less and less hair on my head, I wouldn't say I was worried or upset. I was more in shock that he would be so daring. He really took me for my word. At one point, he asked me if I wanted to keep the length as if he wanted to retain it. I didn't realize he only wanted to keep some of it. My hair has returned to boy short with four sections of longer hair.

I think I like my hair. I would definitely call it edgy. My husband has seen my hair and to my surprise, he hasn't said anything but, "Do you like it?" He usually lets me know if he likes it or not. My final decision about my cut will have to be when I go to work on Monday. What kind of response will I get from my boss and co-workers? What is your response?

No comments: