" My Style Lounge: do try this at home

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

do try this at home

After my day with Thu and her daughters, I went home to make dinner. I'm getting much better at cooking more often.

Tonight's menu included grilled fish with tomato sambal, sauteed pea shoots, shrimp chips, and rice. The grilled fish is an Indonesian dish and it's official name is ikan bakar colo colo. It's the perfect dish on a summer day. I always love seafood and the vegetables in the condiment (sambal) is YUUUMMY! The sauteed pea shoots are courtesy of Thomas of The Sunday Best. I've never cooked pea shoots before. I have to say it was quite delightful. The only thing I did differently was add finely diced ginger. I don't know if it's an Indonesian custom to have shrimp chips at the dinner table but Hubby likes them when we do Asian. And as for the rice, I don't think there is an exclamation.

Doesn't it look delicious? Hubby got into taking pictures of our dinner a little too much and added the lettuce around the fish for affect... whatever!



For some, you might be freaked out by the sight of whole fish. It's something I'm used to and I don't really care to eat fish any other way (except for sea bass and kona kompachi). Some of you might want to know more and you are right. Once you try it, you'll want it again and again. It's that good. Even better, it's really easy to make.

ingredients:

1 whole fish, approximately 2lbs, cleaned (I liked to use white or golden promfret. Here, I did a his/ her fish.)
1/4 tsp sale
1 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp oil
large piece of banana leaf or aluminum foil to wrap fish

colo colo sambal:
3 tbsp lime juice
2 tomatoes, diced
5 red chilies, thinly sliced
4 shallots, diced
4 tbsp sweet soy sauce
4 sprigs of Asian basil, chopped

Season fish with salt and lime juice. Brush with oil. Wrap fish with banana leaf/ aluminum foil and grill.

To make the sambal, combine all ingredients and mix well. Pour into individual sauce bowls to add to fish as desired (I poured it on top for looks.)

Enjoy!

1 comment:

MONI said...

I'm so hungry looking at the pics....I want to make something like it..