" My Style Lounge: jeans

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

jeans

Last month, I was asked to do a post about jeans. I had all these ideas for it- going into stores and trying all kinds of brands and fits but the idea soon became daunting. I should stick with what I already know so here it goes.

Here are some things to consider:

WASHES
You can get so many different kinds of washes that it can get overwhelming. My favorite is a dark rinse wash. They can be dressed up or down, they are slimming, and they are classic. For day, I also like to have a pair of faded jeans. They are easy and casual and they are jeans you feel lived in. I also love me a pair of colored jeans, especially black. Sometimes, I try to sneak on a pair for work when I'm not suppose to wear them.

FITS
I am a huge proponent of straight and skinny jeans. Straight jeans are the most flattering on most body types. They show the shape of the leg when they are a bit fitted. They elongate the legs and give a more slimming effect. I love skinny jeans, too, but you do need to be careful because they can exaggerate the difference between your upper and lower legs and no one wants their thighs to look bigger. Be mindful of the size of the leg opening. Try a few pairs on of different sizes and see what suits you the most. I like the leg opening of my skinny jeans to be between 12-14 inches.

STRETCH
I have to have some stretch in my jeans. They help jeans keep their shape and your body just slips into them better.

LENGTH
I can't stand seeing any kind of pants hemmed too short. I hem some shorter for flats and longer for heels. In any case, the most they can be above the floor is 1/4 inch (skinny pants are an exception). Any more than that and you've got highwaters on. I also like to see a fold along the front of my pants.

BONUS TIP
In the fall and winter, I love wearing jeans with boots. Unfortunately, it doesn't work well with jeans that have leg openings of 14 inches or more. It just looks bunched up and well... just plain funny looking. Buy a pair of skinny, cropped jeans and you won't have to worry about cramming your jeans into your boots.

*update* BONUS TIP #2
Don't be so quick to buy new jeans. A tailor can do wonders. Maybe you have some loose, flared, or wide leg jeans that you don't want anymore... well, a tailor can change the legs for the better. $25 at the tailors is nothing than $200 designer jeans.

So... here are my selections for some great straight and skinny jeans in various price ranges to suit your budget.

STRAIGHT

Gap straight jeans $59.50-$69.50

Madewell rail straight jeans $98.50

Goldsign Envy straight jeans $205+

SKINNY

Old Navy lowest rise skinny 'The Diva' jeans $25

Cheap Monday tight jeans $65

Goldsign Misfit skinny jeans $210-$220

OTHER FAVORITE JEANS
There are other brands that I like besides the ones mentioned. They include: Rich & Skinny (soft, durable, and great fit), Paper Denim (they fit like a good pair of gloves; my favorite pair is labeled- 2-Mod-03 in Vintage 3), and Paige Premium Denim (cut for real bodies).

I WANT TO TRY
There are brands out that that I want to try but they are like looking for a needle in a haystack. They are either not in stores around me, they sell too quickly online, blah blah blah. Those are Acne and Superfine jeans.

Please let the requests coming for blog post ideas. It helps when I get stuck and my mind goes blank. Plus, I love the challenge and this one was surely one.

No comments: