" My Style Lounge: urban outfitters is stepping it up

Sunday, July 20, 2008

urban outfitters is stepping it up

I am amazed and perplexed about this growing trend... designers collaborating with chain retailers to create collections for the masses. Don't get me wrong. I love it. Maybe these designers feel less pressure so their creative juices really start to flow. Part of the appeal is being able to own a "designer" piece but the most of the appeal (for me) is getting something fun at a more affordable price.

Urban Outfittes has also jumped onto this bandwagon. When I first heard about Geren Ford's collaboration with UO, I can't say I was very excited. I've never been a Geren Ford fan. I don't even know what her aesthetic is. Then, during my recent shopping trip, I went into UO and noticed their Hawks by Geren Ford display. So... I thought- let's play and try some things on. I have to say... some of the clothing is pretty cute. Some of it is pretty awkward, too (like the round neck dress and the silk open back tee). I liked the sailor dress... so pretty. I also liked the ruffle front top but I found the straps odd and they don't look any better modeled here. I wish I tried on the buttonfront vest dress and I didn't even see cotton empire waist dress.


ruffle front top $88

buttonfront vest dress $98

cotton empire waist dress $98

sailor dress $118

Then I got news of the Steven Alan collaboration and that was something to be stoked about. I've been a fan of Steven Alan so I was very curious to see what he had done for Urban Outfitters. His UO line is called Lark & Wolf by Steven Alan... interesting name. I didn't see it at my local storefront but I found plenty to keep my interest on their website. I hope they look just as good in person as they do here.


seersucker blouse $48

gauze buttondown $58

shirt dress $78

gauze jumper $88

And then there is Rendez-Vous by Paul & Joe Sister. I can say I'm liking many of the pieces but I can't say that this is budget shopping. At these prices, I'd rather buy some Mike & Chris or Elizabeth & James. Still... I like to look at these pieces and when they go on sale, I might buy something.


impetueux top $128

farandol tie dress $158

kenya safara jumper $188

maasao jacket $208
(my favorite out of the collection)

No comments: