" My Style Lounge: state fair of texas

Monday, October 13, 2008

state fair of texas

Big Tex
(He looks kind of scary, right?)
Texas Star ferris wheel

At the start of fall, the State Fair of Texas is open for a month and every year, I go. When I was younger, I spent plenty on the rides. Now that all they do is spin fast and turn you upside down over and over, I have no tolerance for them. The last time we did that, all I could think while on it was- when will it stop? It just doesn't sound like a good time. There are a couple rides that I like but decided to stay on the ground this year. I used to also play the games but spending $$$ on a stinkin' toy that just goes to the Salvation Army doesn't sound appealing either. Now, it's all about stuffing my face, watching others waste their money on rides and games, and checking out the different exhibits.

Yesterday, we made our annual trek to the fair. We got there are 4:30 and the first thing that stopped us was a carved pumpkins display. They were intriguing and creepy at the same time. If someone gave me one for free, I would display one at my front door. We ate nachos (with some nasty chili concoction; I won't do that again.), corn on the cob (always a must), fried Twinkie (had to see what it was all about), and caramel apple wedges (a regular tradition). The fair is loaded with fried this and fried that. I wanted to try the fried Oreos and fried Snickers but I got too full. The fried Twinkie was a new thing for me and I liked it a lot more than I thought (since I don't even like Twinkies). We also normally get funnel cake but the Twinkie and caramel apple wedges seemed to fulfill my sweet need. Now that I think about it, I wish I had tried those other things. Hmmm... maybe we will go back. We also went to the petting zoo. Dreams of living on a farm always surface and I start to want chickens, pigs, rabbits, etc. It has crazy animals like ostriches, giraffes, and kangaroos. If you dare, try feeding the ostriches. They will come at you like crazy. I wasn't one of the daring. Then, we went to the different exhibits that sell all kinds of crap. I wanted to buy the ShamWows... you know, the TV informercial about these towels that are super absorbent? We watched the demonstration but ending up leaving empty handed. Just as we were about to leave, we caught a light and sound show. There were fireworks and flames. It was the perfect way to end the night.

carved pumpkins display


petting zoo

1 comment:

issa said...

i've always wanted to make it to the state fair... and to a tx/ou game :) go longhorns...